seems like almost every chinese lesson the chinese teacher somehow imparts nuggets of wisdom to us, some of which i cant help but agree with.
i agreed with her point of view today regarding how one should not be naive to the point of shunning all that is evil. yes, it does no good to come into close proximity with evil, but if we as people were to just totally avoid evil, we would become ignorant of what evil is. it is no good just trying to get people to stay far away from evil, and if they ever stray across it at some point of their life, what are the chances that they would know how to handle it? i would much rather know fully what evil is, not by staying far away, but by allowing it to come within hand's reach. we must appreciate the worse of life in order to better appreciate what we deem as better. the use of contrast can make certainly make all the difference.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
this post is so interesting it warrants a reply from me ha.
*)
I am guessing that the case you are proposing is as such:
"shunning all that is evil" results in a incomplete picture of life, unequivocally leaving the person incapable to deal with the harshness and depravity of the world.
however, may I put across the following contentions, and before I begin I seek your pardon if I come across as blunt at various points (: :
1)
While considering your proposition of allowing evil to come within "hand's reach", I could not help but feel, that upon comparison, that seems to be much more naive than the viewpoint you are contesting to begin with (to shun all that is evil.
How often, honestly, have you been in a situation whereby after allowing temptation, or evil, to be within arms' reach, found that you could resist it and from henceforth emerged in a better position to triumph? Compare that to the number of times you've succumbed, and "did" that evil.
2) or 1b) depending on how you look at it
I believe that is what the people (who advocate the deliverance from evil) are trying to say - that the human flesh is weak, and rather than risk falling prey to one's evil desires (which I believe are 'innate' (of course that is far too simplified a word, but it shall have to suffice for now)), it is far better to avoid it completely.
3)
Granted that contrast is necessary (which I must say I fully agree with - Good becomes all the more prominent in the face of immense Un-good), we need to accept at this point, and it must be clarified that evil IS in this world. It is impossible for one to totally and absolutely avoid coming into contact with evil, because simply put, evil will come unto your doorstep even without you seeking it.
What is still within our control, however, is that we make a conscious effort to avoid being 'tempted'. The contrast will invariably exist even without us creating opportunities to experience it, and one's discernment of right and wrong should definitely not be under threat even by avoidance.
reason for this depravity being simple - not everyone seeks a good, and moral life life.
hope I managed to shed some light on this issue
Post a Comment